Jurisdiction And Classification
Jurisdiction and Classification.
This Level II course introduces users to the process of conducting jurisdiction and classification assessment under the EAR and ITAR Order of Review, discussing critical factors for consideration that are not always explicit in the regulations. These include at what level jurisdiction and classification assessment should be conducted, the differences between the philosophies of the EAR and ITAR to keep in mind when reviewing products, analysis of pivotal definitions, and tips on reading the control lists. The course also covers best practices for documenting the jurisdiction and classification process.
• Understand the steps in the Order of Review for jurisdiction and classification assessment.
• Recall when and how the definition of "specially designed" is applied.
• Identify the differences between the structure and terminology of the control lists – the U.S. Munitions List (USML) and Commerce Control List (CCL).
• Distinguish between the different product levels at which jurisdiction and classification assessment takes place.
• Recognize that jurisdiction and classification determinations may need to be updated or reassessed.
• Understand that documenting the decision-making process and rationale is critical to successful compliance.
• Understand that they may be responsible for conducting or validating jurisdiction and classification assessments.
• Recognize that they may be asked to assist a vendor, supplier, or other source in conducting a jurisdiction and classification assessment.
• Realize that they may be responsible for tracking or monitoring a jurisdiction and classification assessment for reassessment or updating and
• Remember that they may be responsible for ensuring the appropriate recordkeeping for a jurisdiction and classification assessment.